Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Poetry


Today we bid farewell to national poetry month. Having waited until the last possible moment to get in on the poetry love,  I do want to point out that I am technically not late since this is being posted on April 30th.

A couple things: I am not a poet. I used to be, back when poetry meant producing rhyming couplets and calling it a day, but after we were supposed to outgrow that stage, I lost interest and talent and have been defiantly wading in the shallow waters of my rhyming pool ever since.  Occasionally I have turned out works of what I like to call poetry, and will continue to defend them as such. You, of course, are free to think otherwise. I will not judge you for it.
Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I will.

Two notes on the poem below: 
1) The picture is of Caravaggio's painting, "David with the Head of Goliath."  2) It should be "thee," not "thou" in the second line, but I wrote it as thou before I thought about it and I sort of thought it was funny that way. Also my friend Sarah told me she thought it should stay thou, and she's smart and has a great sense of humor and also generally makes sense, which are compelling reasons for me to listen to her.  (Interesting side note: when John Lennon was singing "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" to Paul McCartney, he accidentally sang "two foot small" instead of "two foot tall," which was what he had written. Paul liked the phrase as it was sung, and said it should stay that way. And it did. So there you go.) 


David with the Head of Goliath And Mother (offstage)


God’s name, what has he brought home now?
Young man, I've had it up to here with thou!
Don’t thinketh thee can bring that in
Thou dost not knoweth where it’s been!
Goliath or Gabriel, I don’t care.
His head stays outside, is that clear?
I’ve just spent the morning cleaning,
Last thing I need’s a head that’s bleeding.
Thou waltzeth back here from a fight,
Disheveled and thine hair a sight,
Expecting–what–Congratulations?
Hmph! What thou needs is castigation.
I do not calleth thee a winner.
What I calleth thee is late for dinner.
Now return that head where it belongeth,
Then wash thine hands, and run alongeth.


And if you've read this far, here is a poem by Ogden Nash as a reward for your perseverance:
Further Reflections on Parsley
Parsley
Is Gharsley

Was there ever a better poet? I ask you! 
Happy last day of Poetry Month!

4 comments:

  1. I, too, am a fan of rhyme and meter and all of those crazy clever metaphysical poets from the 14th and 15th centuries. Those dudes could write. I don't think it's immature to rhyme, unless of course you are writing a nursery rhyme, in which case it would be perfectly appropriate to be immature.

    I like your poem, by the by. God as a nagging mother. That's funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I was raised in the church and never knew David's mother was such a stickler for cleanliness. (Sheesh, what they don't tell you.) But let's face it, the boy was always killing things--lions, bears, giants. It's no wonder his mother was fed up....although I bet the pay-off was big once he became king of Israel. A palace and truck load of gold can right a whole slew of wrongs. (and I like the "thou" as you used it. good call on listening to Sarah.) This made my laugh, Liza. (who am I kidding, I gaffawed quite raucously.) Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete